Subject: Re: rethinking the HTML DTD.
From: timbl (Tim Berners-Lee)
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 92 00:55:36 MET DST

Dan,

You had a DTD which was almost HTML as it now is. I can't remeber the
syntax but it needs to have something along the lines of

   nonanchor = H! | H2 | text | DL ...
   anchor =    <A> nonanchors </A>
   document_bit = anchor | nonanchor

to get the restriction of not nesting anchors, not nesting DLs,
but being able to put anchors within DLs OR DLs within anchors.
If you could write that in DTD and mail it ten (when I come back
from vacation I or someone else) will put it into the web for
people to refer to.  If we get complains from some SGML parsers that
its not right, we can fix it. But we should have something there
as an attempt to document current practice.

I don't think the Daveport group (who are thinking about DTDs for
documentation seriously) are in on this list, and I'm not in on theirs.
I would like to get some UDI (The meeting att he IETf yesterday decided
to call them URLs -- Uniform Resource Locators -- minutes are in
 http://info.cern.ch/timbl/Public/USTrip1992/IETF-24/UDI_BOF_Minutes.html)
(but I digress) of the davenport group's working documents.
I'll go to their meeting in Sebastopol 16th-18th August if I can
and see what they are doing...

Tim